FAQs | Queensland Alliance for Mental Health


What is the Queensland Alliance for Mental Health?

The QAMH is the peak body for the Queensland community mental health sector. We represent services and groups that meet the needs of people who experience mental health issues.

We work to promote the value and professionalism of our members by focusing on outcomes, building innovative partnerships, carving a role for community mental health in the healthcare continuum and promoting the meaningful integration of community mental health services into the broader health system.

What is mental illness?

A mental illness is a health problem that significantly affects how a person feels, thinks, behaves, and interacts with other people. The Australian Government Department of Health has produced the brochure What is Mental Illness? Please see this brochure for valuable information and facts about mental illness, mental health problems, types of mental illness, myths and misunderstandings and where to go for help.

Can I donate to support your organisation?

Rather than donations, we invite community members and organisations to become members of QAMH. Organisations can support our work by becoming Associate or Ordinary members.

Not-for-profit organisations can apply for Ordinary members, while for-profit organisations or groups ineligible for ordinary membership can apply for Associate membership. There are two subsets of associate membership: Industry and Individual membership.

We welcome you to join us in the work we do for the mental health sector in Queensland by applying for membership today.

I am a carer for a person with mental health issues. Is there anyone out there who can support me?

Mental Health Carers Arafmi Queensland in a uniquely carer-based organisation formed by families who experience the loss, loneliness, stigma and isolation of caring for loved ones with serious mental health illness. They offer 24 hour telephone support on 07 3254 1881.

The Carer Gateway is also available for those who help care for someone with a disability, chronic illness, dementia, mental illness or who is frail due to age. It is the place to go for information and to find services that can support you in your caring role.

Carer Gateway has information to assist carers, including practical advice on how to care, details about financial and respite support, and how to adjust when caring ends. To access this service, call 1800 422 737 (8am – 6pm, Mon-Fri), or visit the website.

If you cannot help me personally, who should I contact?

There are two community directories to help you to find the services and support you need.

oneplace is an easily accessible directory of community support services to help Queensland families to get to the right service at the right time. From parenting groups and classes to domestic and family violence support services, oneplace is the go-to resource for children, families, community members and professionals looking to find local support in Queensland.

My Mental Health was developed by Brisbane North PHN PiR team, in collaboration with Bright Labs as a service navigation tool for the Brisbane North region. The website is an amalgamation of services, resources, interests, news and events in the mental health sector. It is designed so that a person can find a range of options, such as groups, organisations, pathways and resources, to match their needs.

I am in hospital on an Involuntary Treatment Order (ITO) and want to get out. Can you help me?

We are unable assist with this situation directly. The Mental Health Review Tribunal must review the ITO within 6 weeks, and then every 6 months. You can apply to have your case reviewed at any time, or someone else can apply on your behalf.

The Mental Health Legal Service (MHLS) was established by Queensland Advocacy Incorporated. The MHLS offer advice and casework services for people who have matters before the Mental Health Review tribunal or matters with potential to come before the Mental Health tribunal.  This is a Brisbane based service, unless effective assistance can be provided by telephone. Call 07 3844 4200 for assistance or more information.

I have a complaint about a healthcare provider. Who do I contact about this?

The Office of the Health Ombudsman (OHO) is Queensland’s health service complaints agency. It is an independent statutory body and the one place all Queenslanders should go if they have a complaint about a health service provider or a health service provided to them, a family member or someone in their care. To contact the OHO call 133 646.

Speaking Up For You Inc (SUFY) is an Independent Individual Social Advocacy Organisation for adults with a disability who live in the Brisbane and Moreton Bay Regional Council region. To contact SUFY call 07 3255 1244.